Monday, October 19, 2009

What a Week!!

What started out like this....


A really bad cough and fever...
turned into this today!!!

So.....last weekend Luke started having a really bad cough and ran a fever all weekend.  We called the 24 hr nurse line and talked to them a couple times throughout the weekend to make sure we didn't need to take him in to be seen.  After talking through all of the symptoms, they said it sounded like he had croup and it would just kind of run its course and then be through....so that is what we thought it would do.....

By Monday he no longer had a fever, but still had a bad cough.  The nurse had said his barky, dry cough would eventually turn into a more congested cough and that is what happened so we thought he was getting better.

Throughout the week, Luke was still a little irritable but seemed to be getting better.  So we had a full weekend planned out and we had the boys running all weekend.  We spent the entire day in Atlanta Saturday for tailgating and then went to the Tech game that night. ( I will post pics of this later) Luke was ROUGH all day!! I was so frustrated because I didn't know why he was acting so irritable.  It got so bad that I had to leave the game early and take the boys back to the RV.  I just assumed Luke was tired and having a bad day.....

Sunday we woke up and decided just to take it easy since we had had such a long weekend.  By lunch time, Luke all of a sudden started breaking out into welps and hives all over his body. We again talked to the nurse and they said to give him benadryl and he would probably be fine....Well he wasn't.  He woke up this morning covered in hives....it was a VERY scary sight.  His face and hands were swollen and his whole body was red with welps.  Throughout my shaking and crying, I got an appt. and the Dr. saw him at 9:30 this morning.  2 hours later and I was told my baby had bronchitis or early pneumonia and the hives were a reaction to the viral infection he must have had the weekend before.  So they gave him a steroid shot and 2 medications...1 for the bronchitis and 1 for the hives rash.  Wow, I was not expecting all of that!! The Dr. said the rash could last for 2-4 weeks.....this is going to be a long month!!!  Hopefully all of this medicine kicks in soon and he will be looking and feeling better!!

(these pictures were a couple of hours after the steroid shot, he is already looking a little better!)



Isn't that pitiful!!






I was finally getting a little smile from him before naptime.....


Thank goodness Cade has not gotten sick through all of this and we will just pray that he doesn't!! For now, he is just being a very concerned brother. :)


3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my! That is terrible! I would have freaked out!! I'm so glad you've got him some medicine now. What sweet brother little Cade is. :)

Heather said...

Oh no! Poor Luke! And poor you... Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Tiffany said...

Poor baby! I've never seen anything like that. I would have flipped out. Take it easy--I'm sure you all need it!!! Let me know if I can help!